Click to return to History
Please feel free to
Camp Croft, South Carolina
US Army Infantry Replacement Training Center
|Camp Blanding, FL - The 30th Infantry
and 508th PIR trained here from 1940 to 1943, and in August 1943 the
became an IRTC.
||Camp Croft, SC - Construction began December
1940 and completed May 1941. The first troops began training March 7,
1941. Training at the camp
ceased in 1946.
||Camp Fannin, TX - Activated September 1943, the camp was created by
the IRTCs at Camp Robinson and Fort McClellan. The campus of
of Texas Health Center at Tyler is located on the former grounds of the
Hospital. The camp closed January 1946.
Hood, TX - Home of the Tank Destroyer RTC since October
the IRTC was activated in March 1944. Renamed Fort Hood in 1950, the
is now the home of the III Armored Corps.
||Fort McClellan, AL - Originally a Branch
Immaterial RTC which was converted to Infantry in January 1943 and
moved to Camp Fannin in September 1943.
CA - One of the original IRTCs. Construction began
1940 and completed June 1941. The first troops arrived March 15, 1941.
IRTC at the camp closed in 1946 although it continues to operate today
a National Guard training camp.
||Camp Robinson, AR - Originally home to a Medical
and Branch Immaterial
RTC, the BIRTC was converted to Infantry in January 1943 and moved to
Fannin in September 1943.
Camp Rucker, AL - Camp Rucker was activated as
the training camp
of the 81st Infantry "Wildcat" Division and became an IRTC on February
The 65,000 acre camp was located in Southeast Alabama near the city of
The camp, now known as Fort Rucker, is an active US Army installation.
Wheeler, GA - Originally built as a WWI training camp in July
1917, Camp Wheeler
was rebuilt and reopended as an IRTC on March 15, 1941. Less than
acres in size, the camp was able to house over 25,000 servicemen and
German POWs. The camp was closed Jan. 19, 1946
Wolters, TX - The summer training camp of the 56th
Brigade, Texas National Guard since 1925, Wolters was one of the first
IRTCs and much
later, as Fort Wolters became the primary Army Helicopter school before
in 1975. War-time troop capacity of the 7,500 acre camp peaked at
men and Audie Murphy went through his basic training at Wolters! The
closed in January 1946.